Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father, I Adore You...

At My 1996 Wedding


Happy Father's Day!  Today, I am thankful for Bill Murray Foster.  He is also known as Billy Ray and GrandBill.  God brought him into my life at age 14.  On his first date with my mom, Oscar the wiener dog, warmly welcomed him while wetting on is leg , his Sperry topsiders were doused and Bill wore them any way.  I knew then that he was good people.  I then witnessed him go through a hair makeover without a complaint, there were even perm rods involved.  He carried around a small notebook of all of his handwritten scripture verses and actively was apart of the Bible study called Experiencing God.  After he married, be took on the brave task of teaching me how to drive Pearl my 1967 Volkswagon Beetle, that was a "stick" shift.  He also watched over my entrance into the dating world.  In college, he sent me brain boosting gum (Big Red), and his favorite shirt for finals week. He anomyously donated money to me during my "love offereing" based internship and purchased Tootie the Tercel after Pearl died.  He buckled his seat belt and rode my ride through emotional teenagehood. He even taught me how to burn down the kitchen in my first apartment while trying to make his famous chicken fried steak (3 firetrucks people).  He enjoys Willie Nelson, Jazz, running and Schnauzers. It is difficult to sum up my appreciation of GrandBill who now has endured my kid's recitals, and Thanksgiving programs.  I truly am thankful for his willingness to share his life with my mom and now my little family.
Here's a prayer for the men in my life...Father, I'm praying for the men in my circle of friends and family.  Make them strong spiritual leaders in family, community, and church.  Please help them be spirit led, men of prayer.  Make them men of courage, standing firm in the faith.  Give them trusting hearts that earnestly seek you keeping your Word in their hearts.  Keep their feet from slipping into willful sins.  May they find rest in Your favor.  In Jesus' name, amen.