Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy Birthday to You...


     Happy Birthday to my sweet Aunt Mary!  She is 79 years young today.  I've talked about her and the gift that she is to our family and so many in her community.  Philippians 4:8 says, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things."  I know Paul was telling believers how to renew their minds, but this verse really reminds me of the character that I see in my Aunt Mary.  She is Jesus' hands and feet to her family, she serves others and unselfishly gives of her time and resources.  She encourages and prays for others.  She practices what she reads in God's word.  She takes great care of herself and others.  Anytime you go to visit, she will have Cracker Jack cookies in her jar, and will at some point force feed you her famous fried chicken.  I love that she loves God's creation, oooing and awing over the trees in the fall and blueberries in the summer and babies.  She enjoys sewing and has made Molly the most beautiful smocked heirloom dresses. Thank you Aunt Mary for loving Jesus the way you do, and in turn loving others. 
    Here is a birthday prayer for you...  Lord, I thank you for Aunt Mary and all of the Godly women in my circle of friends and family.  I pray that we as women would be strong in the faith, women of worship and prayer. May we sit at your feet and listen.  Help us to set our minds on things above, choosing the way of truth.  Help us to find quietness in our day where we can find strength and trust in you for perfect peace.  Give us hope when we are tired.  Help us to remember that we are precious in your sight, honored and loved.  Help us to delight and rejoice in your many blessings. In Jesus' name, amen.